At least that is what I’m told.
While the left enjoys their temporary victory and idiot Republicans trip over themselves to become Democrat Lite, the left is taking perverse pleasure in explaining to us what we have to do to be “relevant” and win elections.
We are called losers. If Republicans do the same thing that was done in Bush’s second term that lost them control of Congress, they are destined to become the “loyal opposition”, the minority party for another 40 years just as in the days when House Minority Leader Bob Michel was the “go along to get along” Republican leader.
In short – losers.
Well, no matter what happens in the next election cycle, I’ll never be a loser.
I’ll never be a loser because I will never presuppose to have a claim on anything that someone else earns through hard work or inherits through luck or just pure good fortune. I’ll never be angry or envious that someone has more than I do and I will never try to vote myself a share of another’s wealth. I’ll never ask you or government to take care of me.
I’ll never think less of myself because I don’t have as much money as Donald Trump or Warren Buffett – and I won’t think worse of them, either.
I swear by my life and the love of it that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine.
– John Galt (Ayn Rand)
Why? Because taking care of my family (and myself) is my responsibility and mine alone. It is not for you to do, not for government to do and I will not ask that anyone share the “burden” of me. I don’t need you to be concerned about my health care, what I eat or if I decide to take up BASE jumping or decide to eat fried chicken three meals a day. I don’t need you to finance my retirement or college for my kids. I don’t need you to provide free birth control or abortion “services” to my daughter.
All I ask in return is that it be respected that my life and the production of my efforts belong to me to do with as I choose, not have that choice made for me – John Locke, remember?
I’ll also never compromise my faith for political gain. I’ll never disavow that God guides my life and the life of America. I’ll always believe that the Declaration of Independence and the Constitution were divinely inspired and that God blessed America with the intersection of history and the inspired intellect of some very brave men.
I’ll never agree that abortion is a medical procedure no matter the size of the Republican “tent”.
I’ll never agree that America should surrender her sovereignty at the altar of open borders and political correctness.
I’ll never agree that racism, sexism and bigotry are equal to disagreeing with a Democrat.
I’ve worked my way from a dirt-poor beginning to be one of those people who Obama thinks won’t miss a little more taxation. I actually would expect a thank you note from the people who voted for Obama because I’ll be the kind of person who will be expected to pay for all the “free stuff” you lefties want and have tyrannically voted me to provide you.
What happens when there are no “rich” left to tax? What will you do then?
Let me see if I get this right…
- Because I took the time and expense to learn about financial markets, the oil business, management theory and engineering,
- Because I sacrificed by driving the same vehicle for 285,000 miles and rebuilding the engine and transmission twice by myself in my garage, not buying my first new vehicle until I was 36 years old,
- Because my wife and I didn’t live outside our means and saved to pay for our children’s education,
- Because we didn’t live a lavish, credit card financed life to have things on credit that we couldn’t afford and instead, invested and saved,
- Because I have worked my ass off my entire life, growing up on a working farm and having my first paying job at 14 and,
- Because you are either too young, too undisciplined or too lazy to do or have done the same,
…I now owe you more of what I have already earned and what I will earn for the rest of my life?
My resentment is due to the fact that what it took me, not 10, not 20, but 30 years of toil to earn and grow through savings and investment, Obama now wants to take from me with the stroke of a pen and therefore, take it from my kids – all to give to those who weren’t willing to do the things that I have done or to sacrifice, save and plan as I have.
Spare me that crap that this is about roads, bridges, schools and “investments”. When two thirds (67%) of the federal spending is for Social Security (20%), Medicare/Medicade (23%), interest on the debt (6%) and other “discretionary” spending (18%), its not about roads and bridges, it is about transfer payments – redistribution of wealth.
You collectivists are after “the rich” just as every communist mob in history has been and for the same reason as always.
Envy brought about by your own failure, fear and greed. Modest though it be, you want what I have because I have it. You and your cronies in government have maxed out your credit cards while I have been saving and now you want to confiscate my wealth to pay for your extravagance.
Except this isn’t Tsarist Russia. Never has been. America has no royalty, no class or caste system. You had exactly the same opportunity as I had when I was born to a housewife and a brick mason who lived in a 900 square foot, 2 bedroom house on a gravel road in unincorporated Union County outside New Albany, Mississippi 53 years ago.
Neither Obama nor you are entitled to my “little bit more”, my children are…and I am not entitled to anything of yours.
Collectivists always speak of “the rich” as if they woke up one morning to find a magic lamp and the genie inside just granted them wealth. Not all “rich” are overnight FaceBook or Google millionaires, most of the “rich” have attained that status at the end of a very long road and a series of setbacks.
I’ve detailed my journey of failure and success as an example of why I dismiss the idea that people can’t get ahead in America today because if I can do it, anybody can.
I’ve noticed that these “progressives”, proto-Marxists, crypto-communists or whatever they want to be called these days are some of the most fatalistic people on earth. Everything is a zero sum game to them and they want to stop the game right now and divvy up the shares in equal measure – because they think that they deserve it…and if they don’t stop the merry-go-round and get it now, someone might take it from them, or God forbid, make more than they do.
I started thinking about the thought processes that you have to have to believe that:
- To people who haven’t worked hard to achieve, hard work and achievement have no meaning.
- To people who have no ambition, ambition means nothing and those who have it are selfish and evil.
- To people who haven’t earned success, success is evil and should be punished.
- For people who depend on others, self-sacrifice means nothing – sacrifice means giving up something you have in service to something or somebody else. One who achieves nothing has nothing to sacrifice.
- For people who create no value, value has no meaning.
- For people who have failed in capturing the opportunities that life presents, opportunity has no value, it is outcomes that must be equalized, not access to opportunities.
- To people who have no private property, private property should not exist.
- To people who have little personal responsibility, responsibility is a corporate concept where people who are responsible must support those who aren’t.
- To people who want instant gratification, patience means little.
- To people who don’t plan for their own future, planning has no value.
- To people who don’t save and invest, saving and investment is just something that rich people do and should be taxed.
- To people who lack confidence, self-determination, self-reliance in independence mean nothing.
- To people who do not believe in self-control via natural law, government law and regulation is the answer.
- To people who hold relativist values, real values have no meaning.
- For people who do not know and understand the past, there is no future.
- For people who believe there is no such thing as objective truth, there is no truth, only subjective opinion.
- For people who are secular humanists, ending a potential human life by killing a fetus is not murder, it is “health care”.
- For people who have no true compassion, the welfare state is the answer because that way they never have to think about the destruction that dependency causes and they never have to actually see the poor and destitute, go to the inner city or get their hands dirty.
- For people who don’t believe that our country was founded on Judeo-Christian principles, they believe that Islam is compatible with American values.
- For people who deny God’s laws, any act can be justified, no matter how vile or heinous.
- When people don’t believe in the Word of God, God is but a collection of words in a book.
Yeah, I know. Sort of random, wasn’t it?
Now that I have that out of my head, maybe I can think about making some more money by manipulating the oil market or repressing a small third-world country. Around my flat here in Edinburgh, we call that “Saturday”.