We the People of the United States, in Order to form a more perfect Union, establish Justice, insure domestic Tranquility, provide for the common defence, promote the general Welfare, and secure the Blessings of Liberty to ourselves and our Posterity, do ordain and establish this Constitution for the United States of America.
. . .
Attest William Jackson Secretary
done in Convention by the Unanimous Consent of the States present the Seventeenth Day of September in the Year of our Lord one thousand seven hundred and Eighty seven and of the Independance of the United States of America the Twelfth In witness whereof We have hereunto subscribed our Names,
The raison d’être for the creation of our Constitution of the United States?
We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.
–That to secure these rights, Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed,
–That whenever any Form of Government becomes destructive of these ends, it is the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new Government, laying its foundation on such principles and organizing its powers in such form, as to them shall seem most likely to effect their Safety and Happiness.
Why does the United States of America exist?
What were the founding principles of the United States of America?
What is the purpose of the federal Government of the United States of America?
raison d’être = reason or justification for existence
Is the raison d’être to:
- prevent climate change?
- save animal or plant species across the world?
- ensure groups of people get a “leg up” based on the color of their skin, gender identity, or sexual orientation?
- prevent individuals from freely choosing what products they can buy or sell?
- allow others with death causing diseases into our country from other lands?
- manipulate the course of other peoples’ future across the world?
- direct every individual what kind of personal care they are required to purchase and provide to their neighbors?
- [Insert whatever mandate/prohibition you can think of here…]
When the raison d’être; the reason for, the justification for, the existence of a society is:
- not followed,
- not supported,
- no longer shared,
- no longer understood, or
- forgotten . . .