Let’s takes a step back and assess a bit shall we? In contemporary America, we are witnessing the following:
- Men (as biologically defined) who claim they are women and women (as biologically defined) claiming to be men;
- Feminists theorizing that men should be confined to concentration camps;
- Pedophilia is claimed to be just another sexual orientation.
- A questioning of the arguments for teleology (the explanation of phenomena by the purpose they serve rather than by postulated causes) in nature;
- A denial of a providential ordering of history combined with a similar questioning of miracles and prophecies as evidence of divine intervention in human affairs;
- A reduction of the Bible to a simple collection of poetic, moralizing, fables;
- Pluralism in matters of religion, law, and ethics rather than a belief in a set of absolute and immutable principles (“situational” ethics);
- A skeptical defense of doubt in philosophical and religious matters;
- Questioning the historical origin, and consequent human fabrication of religions, creeds and dogmas and a denial of the political function of religion;
- A rise of atheism or at least an adherence only to a supposed rational or natural religion (the Gaia worship of the environmental movement);
- Epicureanism – the denial of providence and the immortality of the soul and the consequent rejection as invalid any theology and metaphysics anchored to ‘divine’ revelation, especially on issues such as the immortality of the soul, punishments and rewards in an afterlife – there is no heaven or hell so YOLO (you only live once) so whatever you do is cool;
- the positive reassessment of pagan antiquity and the elevation of a secular ethics over religious morality.
America seems to be experiencing a renaissance of sorts. What we are seeing is actually nothing new, there was a philosophical movement with roots in the 16th and 17th century, mainly consisting of Italian and French erudite cultural, philosophical thought that sought to establish reason and nature as the criteria of morality, politics, and law, and thus questioning transcendental sources of truth and authority. This philosophical movement gained new-found adherents in the 17th, 18th, and 19th centuries, particularly in France and Great Britain. Notable among these were John Wilmot, 2nd Earl of Rochester, and the Marquis de Sade.
That philosophy is called libertinism.
A libertine is often defined as “one devoid of most moral or sexual restraints, which are seen as unnecessary or undesirable, especially one who ignores or even spurns accepted morals and forms of behavior sanctified by the larger society.” Libertinism is rightly described as extreme form of hedonism and as such, puts primary value on sensual or physical pleasures. Libertinism also necessarily requires the rejection of any religious stigma, moral code or social mores that argue against the attainment of such pleasures.
If one needs further evidence of a resurgence of Libertinism, one has to look no farther than the progressivism of the Democrat Party. I’ve never seen a group of people so violently opposed to the capital punishment of the worst murderers get so excited about killing babies (the purest and most innocent members of the human race).
While they want to be known as “progressives”, as I have stated before, you will never meet a more regressive person than a modern “progressive” Democrat. The coalitions of ideologies that make up the modern Democrat constituency are unbelievably anti-moral, anti-progress and anti-human.
Just look at three of the most motivating issues of the modern Democrat:
- A libertine rejection of any moral standard
- Radical environmentalism, and their most unifying issue,
Think about this for a minute and ruminate over the schizophrenia of the melding of these three positions:
- In rejection of moral standards, the “progressives” seek to elevate humans over the Divine, to claim that humans are the top of the food chain through evolution and should be celebrated and unrestrained, yet:
- Humans are destroying the earth through wars, exploitation of resources and capitalism – and therefore population must be controlled and economic activity must be limited – standards of living must be reduced through halting human progress because the health of the planet must be placed above the wellbeing of any human and,
- There should be no war because war kills children, yet they fight for the legal approval to kill a fetus at the whim of the mother and approve of abortion as a necessary population control device. I think they believe that humans must have the right to kill other humans in the womb as that is seen as the final celebration of man’s victory over God – the ability to choose who lives and who dies.
Just a fact to put abortion in perspective – abortion procedures kill more children in the US than any war – there are over 1.2 million abortion procedures performed in America every year. As a point of reference, that annual number equates to more dead than were killed in the Civil War, WWI, WWII, Korea, Vietnam and all the Middle East wars combined. So how can a “progressive” be anti-war and pro-abortion?
In fact, and based on observational data, a “progressive” Democrat would seem to be an irreconcilable concoction of Libertinism (free to do anything) and totalitarian communism (controlled by government in all things).
So many contradictory beliefs, so little time (and apparently, so little progressive brain capacity).
Aye, there’s the rub. Libertinism supposedly rests on a foundation of “reason and nature as the criteria of morality, politics, and law” but these modern “libertines” reject both reason and nature for concocted fairy tales that substantiate their actions. They will only “reason” themselves to a point of emotional satisfaction rather than to a logical endpoint.
Is it any wonder why American progressivism is so incoherent?
2 thoughts on “My Mind = A Trip Down Alice’s Rabbit Hole”
Good post, Utah. The only thing I would have done differently (not that it matters) is left off the ‘Democrat’ in ‘Democrat Progressives:’ — because we have Progressives in BOTH Parties.
Otherwise, you have just explained Isaiah 5:20-21. 🙂
GREAT post !
But with all the Gender bender news lately……when I saw the Title: “….A trip down Alice’s Rabbit hole”.
….. Well ! ……………………. of course I immediately thought of John Updike…. ;- ))